Within a client-centered care model, and the vision and values of the organization, the Recreation Aide works in a team-based environment and provides therapeutic recreation interventions. The Recreation Aide is a member of an integrated, collaborative health care team that assesses client’s recreation/leisure needs, abilities and interests and promoting their physical, social, emotional, spiritual and cognitive well-being. Recreation Aides design, implement and evaluate the programs and communicates with resident/family and other health care team member to increase the resident quality of life.
- Successful completion of a recognized diploma or degree program in Recreation Therapy or an equivalent of education and experience
- Preference given to applicants with work experience related to cognitively impaired persons.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend the English language
- Demonstrates effective computer skills
- Ability to function as an effective team member with other staff, residents, families, and the public
- Physically able to perform duties as outlined
- Ability to problem-solve and exercise independence and judgement
- Ability to organize and carry out duties with a minimum of supervision
- Class IV driver’s license preferred
- Current CPR Certificate
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- May require use of personal vehicle
- Food Safe and Serving it Right Certification
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes schedules, and coordinates recreation calendar of events based on needs in his/her designated area
- Considers residents safety when planning group and/or individual leisure programs and activities.
- Monitors resident safety and promptly report/chart adverse incidents, including accidents, injuries, near misses and other unusual occurrences to the Manager.
- Maintains records
- Plan’s, organizes and implements specialized Recreation Therapy interventions based on assessed needs.
- Assesses residents for their leisure needs, chart progress notes and reviews assessments on a regular basis.
- Develops and maintains current goals, objectives, and procedures for residents and for program and for each resident based on need.
- Gathers pertinent resident information
- Maintains current progress notes as per facility policies.
- Provides direction to students and volunteers when required during recreation program
- Ensures a safe working environment
- Adheres to professional standards of practice
- Maintains an awareness of community resources and services relating to leisure
- Performs all duties in accordance with written policies and procedures
- Participates in conferences, huddles, meetings and education as required
- Provides ongoing education to Recreation and other staff regarding therapeutic Interventions.
- Work non-traditional work hours including shifts evenings and weekends occasionally
- Stocking and purchasing of items for Tuck shop
- Pet maintenance (cleaning cages, purchasing food and feeding)
- other duties as required
Please email your resume to: [email protected]